Postal ID is one of the easiest to obtain a government-issued ID in the Philippines. And the good thing is, this is a valid id that can be accepted in various private and public sector transactions.
Maybe you don’t know, Postal ID also enables you to avail fringe benefits and privileges. And recently, it was transformed by the Philippine Postal Corporation (PhilPost) from a simple paper document into an ID card with upgraded security features.
POSTAL ID DEFINITION
Postal ID is a card which is the most commonly accepted means of identification in any postal transactions anywhere in the world, according to the Universal Postal Union. It is a socially broad card making its application open for anyone.
Before, Postal IDs are being issued by Philippine Postal Corporation to make sure that parcels and letters are delivered to the right people. This ID is presented to a mailman or postal carrier before he can give the items/parcels to you for verification.
Currently, this ID card is not limited to postal transactions only, because you can now use it in various transactions in any government and private institutions such as opening a bank account, applying for other government-issued identification cards, proof of identity when sending and receiving money, etcetera.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR A POSTAL ID?
Anyone can apply for this ID regardless of age, occupation, or citizenship. Non-citizens or foreigners can also apply for this ID if they have been living in the country for a minimum of six (6) months.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS IN APPLYING POSTAL ID?
Here are the lists of requirements needed to apply for Filipinos:
- Two (2) copies of fully-accomplished Postal ID application form that you can get from any post office or download online at https://www.postalidph.com/uploads/5/8/5/0/58500909/pid_application_form.pdf
- Any proof of identity such as Birth Certificate, government IDs, passport, driver’s license, school ID, etcetera.
- Any proof of address under the applicant’s name like barangay certificate (issued within three (3) months before application), utility bills (electric, water, internet, cable, etc.), bank or credit card billing statement, Certified copies of lease or titles (issued by the Land Registration Authority), and real estate tax receipt.
- Marriage Certificate issued by the Philippine Statistic Authority for married women.
Here are the requirements needed to apply for Foreign Residents in the Philippines:
- Two (2) copies of fully-accomplished Postal ID Application Form
- Passport (must be valid for at least six (6) months before the application)
- Any proof which shows that you are staying in the Philippines (issued at least six (6) months before the application such as Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card, Diplomatic Visa, Long Stay Visitor Visa Extension (LSVVE), Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV), or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).
- Any proof of address under the foreign applicant’s name (take note that it should be issued within three months prior to the application) such as Bank statement, Barangay Certificate of Residency, Certification/Statement of Account from any temporary residence, Credit Card Statement, Notarized land/house Lease Contract, School Billing Statement, or Utility Bill (water, electric, cable, internet).
STEPS ON HOW TO APPLY FOR A POSTAL ID IN THE PHILIPPINES
Applicants must complete the following steps in order to get their Postal ID in the Philippines:
STEP 1: POSTAL ID APPLICATION FORM.
Make sure that you fill all the necessary information to avoid trouble getting your ID.
STEP 2: SUBMIT ALL YOUR POSTAL ID REQUIREMENTS.
Go to the nearest Post Office where you preferred to submit your requirements. Their office personnel will verify and validate all your submitted documents.
STEP 3: PAY FOR THE POSTAL ID PROCESSING FEE.
You will be asked to pay for the fixed Postal ID processing fee which covers mostly in the cost of printing, delivery, and the 12% Value Added Tax (VAT) which total the amount of 504 pesos.
STEP 4: HAVE YOUR BIOMETRICS TAKEN FOR YOUR POSTAL ID CARD
You will be directed to the Postal ID capture station where your biometrics (picture, fingerprints, signature) will be taken digitally.
There are also 260 capture stations around the Philippines which are located at selected malls and different post offices.
STEP 5: DELIVERY OF YOUR POSTAL ID.
If you applied within Metro Manila, expect your ID to be delivered at relatively 10 to 15 working days from your application. For other major cities and municipalities, wait for your ID at approximately twenty (20) working days, thirty (30) working days for remote barangays, and island provinces.
POSTAL ID RUSH PROCESSING
Yes, you read it right! There is a rush processing of Postal ID, where you can get it on the same day or next day of application. However, it cost higher which amounts to Php 650 compare to the regular processing fee of Php 504. The Rush Postal ID application procedure is just the same as the regular one.
Here are the lists of places/offices that process Rush Applications:
- Manila Central Post Office located at Liwasang Bonifacio, Intramuros
- Robinsons Otis Central Post Office located at 2/F Lingkod Pinoy, Philpost Robinsons Otis, Paz M. Guanzon St., Paco, Manila
- Quezon City Central Post Office located at NIA Rd., Brgy. Pinyahan, Diliman
- Makati Central Post Office located at Gil Puyat Cor. Ayala Avenue Malugay
- Parañaque Central Post Office located at Ninoy Aquino Ave., Brgy. La Huerta
- Las Piñas Central Post Office located at Las Piñas City Hall, Real cor. Pamploma St.
- SM South Mall Post Office located at Lower Ground Floor, Government Services Section, SM South Mall, Almanza, Las Pinas City
- Valenzuela Central Post Office located at Valenzuela City Hall Complex, Maysan St.
- Taguig Central Post Office located at M.L Quezon St., Purok 1 New Lower Bicutan, Taguig City
- Taguig City Hall located at Gen. Luna St., Tuktukan, Taguig City Hall
- SM Aura – Government Service Express located at 7/F SM Aura, Taguig City
- Q. Plaza Central Post Office located at Q. Plaza Commercial Center, Felix Ave. cor. Marcos Hi-way, San Isidro, Cainta, Rizal
These offices are open for Rush Postal ID applications from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4 pm.
POSTAL ID RENEWAL
- You can apply for renewal or replacement if your Postal ID is already expired, damaged, or lost. Simply go to any post office and surrender your expired, damaged, or lost card and submit two (2) copies of fully-accomplished Postal Id application form. You will be directed to pay the Php 504 postal ID renewal fee.
- If you will just change or update some information on your card, just present necessary documents that support can support your details such as your certificate of birth, marriage certificate, or proof of billing if you have changed your address.
- If you are renewing Postal ID due to loss or theft, go to the nearest public notary and explain how you lost your card then submit it to the post office.
POSTAL ID PRIVILEGE PROGRAM
Postal Id cardholders can also use their ID to avail fringe benefits under the Postal ID Privilege Program.
Follow these steps oh how you can use your Postal ID for the privileges:
- Check for the list of partner merchants/establishments in the Postal ID website or Facebook page.
- Go to your chosen merchant/establishment.
- Show your ID to the cashier and ask about the products that are applicable to the privilege program.
- Follow the instructions/mechanics and voila! You can now enjoy your discount or freebies.
Considering everything, if you are looking for an easily accessible application of ID, then the best and the easiest one to get is the Postal ID.