A police clearance certificate is often required to satisfy the requirements for visa application, employment, migration, and education. This can also be used as a supplemental ID when applying for other transactions like the Civil Service Examination, and NBI Clearance. However, it is not recognized as a valid ID for COMELEC voter’s registration and DFA Passport application and renewal.
WHAT IS A POLICE CLEARANCE?
Police Clearance is an official document that shows criminal records or charges that an applicant may have in a certain city or municipality. This is issued by the local authority specifically the Philippine National Police (PNP). Criminal records or charges may include arrest, conviction, and any possible criminal proceedings.
Police clearance application is now much simpler because, besides the walk-in application, it has also an online application for easier processing. This means you can get police clearance even though you have limited time to apply personally.
IS POLICE CLEARANCE AND NBI CLEARANCE THE SAME?
Previously, Police Clearance could only identify charges or cases filed in a specific town or municipality where it was being issued. On the other hand, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance uses a national database in identifying criminal cases filed in courts anywhere in the country.
Nowadays, with the launch of the National Police Clearance System (NCPS) in 2018, it enabled the PNP to consolidate all records from different cities and municipalities into one database. Making it similar to the one being utilized by the NBI, wherein it has advanced processing of verifying criminal records in any police station in the Philippines.
However, the PNP has cleared-out that the NCPS will not replace the NBI Clearance System. What makes their difference is on how they deal when they unexpectedly encountered a “HIT” ( Either you or your namesake is linked to records or information that are criminal in nature).
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR POLICE CLEARANCE?
You can apply for police clearance through walk-in applications especially for those who are near to the police station. But if you have limited time and it takes ages before you arrive at your nearest police stations, online application is available given that you have an internet connection. (TAKE NOTE: Online application also requires personal appearance)
HERE ARE THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS FOR WALK-IN APPLICATION:
- Recent Community Tax Certificate (Cedula)
Here’s how you can get cedula:
- Go to your municipal office where the cedula is being issued.
- Fill out an application slip and submit it to the officiating personnel.
- Pay for the cedula. (The fee will depend on how much salary being declared on your application slip)
After paying, the cedula will be issued.
- Affix your thumb mark and signature on the cedula.
(Acquiring for cedula may take up to 10-30 minutes depending on the density of people applying on the same date and time)
- Barangay Clearance (It attests to your good standing as a resident in a specific barangay)
Example of Barangay Clearance
Here’s how you can get barangay clearance:
- Go to your Barangay Hall and inform the duty officer that you will apply for a barangay clearance
- Fill out the application form.
- Present your cedula and pay for necessary fees (fees may vary per barangay)
- Wait for your Barangay Clearance to be released immediately.
STEPS FOR WALK-IN APPLICATION OF POLICE CLEARANCE
STEP 1: GO TO THE PNP OFFICE.
Make sure to bring along all your original and photocopy of all requirements (Cedula and Barangay Clearance). Submit all your required documents to the personnel on duty.
STEP 2: PAY FOR NECESSARY FEES.
After submitting all your required documents, you will be given a payment slip. Go to the payment area (some payment areas are located at the municipal hall) then pay for the clearance fee of PhP100 (Fees may vary per municipalities). You will be given a receipt and you will present this at the police clearance center.
STEP 3: HAVE YOUR BIOMETRICS TAKEN.
- You will be directed to an office where your photo will be captured (Tips: All applicants should be wearing appropriate attire. Remove unnecessary accessories like eyeglasses).
- You will be asked to affix your thumb mark and signature.
STEP 4: RELEASING
Wait for your name to be called. It usually takes a little time (depending on the density of applicants). That’s it, and you now have your police clearance certificate.
POLICE CLEARANCE ONLINE APPLICATION
Here is the simple guide in applying online, especially if you belong to those people who find comfort in using the internet in applying.
HERE ARE THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS FOR ONLINE APPLICATION:
You need to submit these following requirements when applying for online Police Clearance:
- At least two (2) valid IDs. (You will present this on the day of your appointment at the police station.)
Valid IDs should be original, not expired, and has the applicant’s complete name, signature, and clear photo.
List of valid IDs honored by the PNP:
- TIN ID
- Voter’s ID
- SSS ID/UMID ID
- Alien Certificate of Registration
- Birth Certificate
- GSIS ID
- Driver’s License
- IBP ID
- OFW ID
- PhilHealth ID
- PNP ID
- Postal ID
- PRC ID
- School ID
- Senior Citizen ID
If you only have one (1) of the valid IDs mentioned above, you can bring along a certified true copy of your Birth Certificate issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).
- Police Clearance Fee Payment
- You have to prepare a fair amount of Php 160 (this includes the police clearance fee of Php 150 plus Php 10 for the transaction fee) which would be paid through Landbank, Bancnet, or GCash.
NATIONAL POLICE CLEARANCE ONLINE APPLICATION
The National Police Clearance System (NPCS) enables Filipinos nationwide to acquire police clearance in a short span of time. This innovation helps the PNP to lessen the processing time of checking criminal records.
HERE ARE THE STEPS IN ACQUIRING POLICE CLEARANCE ONLINE:
STEP 1: CREATE OR REGISTER FOR AN ACCOUNT
- Go this website to start your registration https://pnpclearance.ph/
- If it’s your first time applying, click the button “Register”.
- Read and check all the boxes on the “Terms and Condition”, then click the “Next” button to continue.
- Provide all the necessary and required information on the Applicant Registration Box. After that, check again the “Terms and Conditions” and click on the “Register” button.
- Wait for the confirmation message from the NPCS via email. Check your inbox for the message with a link verifying your NPCS account. Click on the link that will divert you to the log-in page of the NPCS website.
STEP 2: SET FOR AN APPOINTMENT ONLINE
- Enter your registered email address and key-in password. Click the “Sign In” button.
- Edit your profile first before setting an appointment for your police clearance application. Click the “Edit your Profile” button and fill-in necessary details then click the “Save Profile” button.
- Click the “Clearance Application” button to set an appointment and select where you will get your police clearance. Select your preferred schedule then click “Next”.
- Under the Payment Options, select “LandBank of the Philippines” then click “Save Appointment”.
STEP 3: PAYMENT OF THE POLICE CLEARANCE.
- Click the button “Click here to Pay” on the right bottom corner of the page (ONLINE PAYMENT ONLY). You will be directed to the LBP ePayment Portal and select your payment option (Landbank, Bancnet, or Gcash).
- Enter your preferred payment option account number and PIN.
STEP 4: GO TO YOUR CHOSEN POLICE STATION.
- On your appointment day, don’t forget to bring two (2) valid IDs, your reference number, and the official receipt of your police clearance payment.
- Your biometrics (photo, fingerprints, and signature) will be taken.
- Wait for the verification process (this won’t take long) as the officiating police will check your biometrics and criminal records on the PNP database.
(TAKE NOTE: If it takes longer, maybe your application got a “HIT” and you will be directed to another verification process.)
After the process, you may now claim your Police Clearance. It has a QR code that can be used to check its authenticity.
Your new National Police Clearance has a validity of six (6) months.